“Or it was a Jammy Dodger and I was promised tea!”
I love Doctor Who. For those of you who aren’t Whovians, Doctor Who is a television show on BBC about a Time Lord named the Doctor who travels in a blue telephone box called the TARDIS and it allows him to travel through space and time picking up different companions and saving the world.
So I’m going to geek out a little today. I found this recipe after much googling, on The Baker Upstairs. (Pinterest Pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/54746951692989212/)
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp cold butter cut in cubes
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk
- 12 teaspoons of jam
1.Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine Flour, Confectioner’s Sugar, and a Pinch of Salt.
2. Add in the cubes of butter, stirring until the mixture looks like crumbles.
3. Whisk together the Eggs and Vanilla Extract, then add to the dry mix, mixing until the dough is soft.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll out dough on a lightly floured countertop, and cut into circles.
6. Using a small cookie cutter, cut a hole in the middle of half of the cookies. (If you can’t find one small enough, using a knife to cut small sections into the dough, and using your finger will get the job done, but it doesn’t look at nice.)
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven, the bottom of the cookies should be a golden brown.
8. Let them cool slightly, them spoon your jam of preference onto the bottoms of the cookies, and top with the cookie tops.
9. Place back in oven for five minutes to let the jam set, and then let cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan. (Because you WILL get burnt by the jelly, I learned my lesson.)
These were definitely a different kind of cookie! Best enjoyed while watching episodes of Doctor Who. These would also be well enjoyed with tea, or at Christmas time!
Enjoy, and as always, follow me on Pinterest!
- How to Make Gluten Free Jammie Dodgers (greatbritishchefs.com)
- Step Back in Time- the eleventh time (BUT… WITH) Jammy Dodgers, Fish Fingers and Custard! (soneascissorhands.wordpress.com)